Monday, August 29, 2011

Talking about the blog: A new feature



Hey Yikes, I think it's time to post the new feature we've been talking about.


Oh, are we going to have something that's not garbage now?


Yeah, Yikes, we're going to have something besides you.





Stop that. You know what we're doing.






I'm still going to let you do the work and explain it.


Right, so for the past year, I've had this great calender that features a different classic horror poster every month. I've been using it to kind of apply themes to a month- I'll usually watch my copy of the movie, buy it outright, or at least check it out on Netflix.


I discussed it with Yikes, and we both agree that it would be fun to also apply the theme to our blog. So, from now on (at least until the end of the year when the calendar ends) we'll be having a new side panel that features the Theme of the Month with some links to some of the things we'll be using to celebrate it.

Sounds fun. Something to look forward to each month. What is this month's theme, anyway?


Yeah, about that. Unfortunately, I didn't actually decide to do this until the month is almost over. But, just the same, here we go:

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man!

At least it's sort of an actual classic.

Oh, it's classic alright. I genuinely enjoy this one, and it's the start of the real monster matchup movies that got to be so popular eventually. Who knows, without this movie, maybe there never would have been Godzilla vs Mothra, or Freddy vs Jason.


Larry Talbot is pretty much the protagnoist of this one. He's stuck living forever with that damn werewolf curse, and he's actually just looking for a way to die. He winds up running into another one of those Frankensteins (pretty big family, I guess), who is willing to try helping him out. Simultaneously, the old Frankenstein monster has now turned up after a long series of movies of his own. He's played by Bela Lugosi now.


The actual "meeting" between the two at the end of the movie is actually pretty brief, and I always thought a bit of a let down; but then again, when I used to look at pictures of this movie as a kid, long before I'd ever actually seen it, I used to picture a movie that was just a 90-minute drag-out fight.


It's hard to live up to a kid's imagination.

I've included a clip here of one of my favorite scenes from the movie:




He really doesn't like folk music. So what kind of stuff are we going to be using to celebrate?

Well, there are a few editions of his movie available. I say "editions" but really it's just different ways of packing it in. First, there's a double feature that includes House of Frankenstein. This is a nice cheaper option, unless you're someone like me who already owns the Frankenstein Legacy Collection, in which House is already included.

The other good option is the Wolf Man Legacy Collection. Besides Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, this also includes the classic original Wolf Man as well as Werewolf of London and She-Wolf of London.

Hey, 2 of those aren't Wolf Man movies. One of them isn't even a -Man movie!

I know. Unfortunately, Universal just didn't make many stand-alone Wolf Man movies. At least this way you're still getting 4 wolf-oriented movies.


For good measure, there's also a pretty cool movie poster that features the original artwork (and is actually the same artwork on my calender page for the month). It's available in two sizes, 18 x 24 and 24 x 36. 


All 3 of these will be linked all month in the new box to the right.

Pretend I'm making a howling noise right now.

Great effort, Yikes.



3 comments:

  1. Hey, wow, it's been a little while since I was on your page! I'm jealous, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own all of the legacy editions of all of the universal monster films and they're all well worth it. it's 4 movies, most of them have commentaries from film historians, some suck, but the Wolfman one is really interesting. on top of that they have featurettes and documentaries about the movies. it's well worth the price. The invisible man one is kinda weak but if you're in to film history or just Universal monsters they're WELL worth the price.

    Also flashy are you on Facebook? can I add you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on Facebook and Google+
    http://www.facebook.com/FlashFearless
    https://plus.google.com/103055071732406209890

    ReplyDelete