Monday, August 15, 2011

Talking about games: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3d

So I picked up a 3ds very recently, and the simple fact of the matter is, if you want a horror game for it, there's really only one choice: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D


It's that good, huh?
Well, actually, it's the only horror game out for the system right now.


However, don't go thinking that means it's a strike against the game.  I would say it actually IS very good.  If you've played the Mercenaries mode in either Resident Evil 4 or Resident Evil 5, you know what you're getting.  In fact, the maps themselves are actually taken from those sub-games.
So, the gameplay, maps, and I assume characters, are all 
from previous Resident Evil games.  What's new?
Well, it's in THREE DEE, Yikes.  I was playing it earlier and got hit right in the nostril.


Other than that: Not very much.  The gameplay is refined somewhat, there's a big selection of characters, and there is now an upgradable skill component.  You unlock skills by scoring high on various missions, and then you can upgrade those skills through gameplay.  It also has pretty good multiplayer that has prevoiusly been lacking on earlier Nintendo DS models, fortunately needing no friend codes to match up cooperatively online. You can also move while aiming now (although I find it cumbersome to do, and it removes your ability to aim up and down).
So. . . my question would be, since this is mostly made up 
of components of other games, is this really 
a new game, per se?
In my opinion, yes.  For a handheld console, this is pretty much the perfect game.  You can sit down and play for a long time if you like, but it's really perfect for quick sessions.  It's exciting, I would rate the difficulty as fair, and the 3d is. . . fine, if you like 3d (it's not irritating, at least).  Also, while it may consist largely of parts of other games, they are very good parts of those games, and the new features serve to spice up the gameplay.  On the other hand, if you're somebody looking for a story or a 20-hour RPG, this just isn't going to interest you.
Does it come with anything else?  Is there a demo 
or anything?
There IS a demo, for the upcoming Resident Evil: Revelations.  I've been saving it for a rainy day, but as soon as I check it out, I'll be sure to let you know how I like it.  







No comments:

Post a Comment